I went to see a fire show last night, performed by Flam Chen, based in Tucson, Arizona, but performing in San Francisco for a couple days. Very neat stuff. It started off with some standard poi moves, but then things started getting wacky, and I saw several things I hadn't seen before, such as:
- Flaming sword fight - two guys twirling big flaming sticks around, and clashing them together occasionally. It was like a light saber battle except with real fire.
- Flaming fan dance - fan dances are cool. Fan dances where the fans are on fire? Darn cool.
- Guys on stilts doing tricks with fire - they each had what amounted to a set of crutches that they were using to balance and do tricks on. Except they lit the tips of the crutches on fire. Crazy folks.
- Synchronized poi - Seeing 7 people do synchronized poi is pretty neat. Especially when 3 of them are on steadily higher sets of stilts.
- Flaming cube - They lit a wire-frame cube on fire, all but one edge. A guy grabbed it by that edge and twirled it all around. It was a very neat effect. The picture didn't quite come out unfortunately.
- Flaming cannonball - What would a morning star look like if you lit it on fire? Something like this guy doing a really big fireball on a chain.
- Pairs poi - at the end, they were doing pairs poi where a couple would be swirling the fire around, and then they'd walk together, hug each other, doing the poi behind each other's back, and then separate. And they only managed to almost set each other on fire once!
Flaming sword fight!
Flaming fan dance!
Blurry spinning flaming cube!
Synchronized poi action!
posted by Dork Butt 2:22 PM